Diapered Anime

Diapered Anime (https://diaperedanime.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diapered Anime News (https://diaperedanime.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   [UPDATE] About large images. (https://diaperedanime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20872)

Xero August 22nd, 15 07:48 PM

[UPDATE] About large images.

UPDATE, PLEASE READ:

Unbelievably, I missed a couple of options in the gallery settings. I have indeed found something that allows automatic rescaling, as well as maximum height/width dimensions.
Maybe I missed it before because I've just been so... exhausted.

I'm gonna need to play with this a bit since I'm not excellent and calculating proper sizes, but for now, the dimensions are set as follows:
Height - 2500x
Width - 1000x

An example of a picture of 1000x1000 is Cloud D's A Star of a Tantrum image. This is a good size, if you ask me, but I can put height a bit bigger, as it's not as straining as width.
The original dimensions were 2500x2500.

Anything exceeding this 1000x2500 size should rescale automatically, but... I don't know how many bugs are in the gallery system to begin with, so we'll have to see if that actually works, and see if it mucks up any images in weird, distorted ways. Dx

Whatever the case, this is the best I can do for now. If it's -still- too much for you, and you find it irritating, then the only thing I can do is offer a poll to see if you want the rule to stay, or to go.

With much love,
- Xero

--------------

Good evening, all. ^^ How are you? Are you doing okay? Is life treating you well?

I'd just like to bring something to everyone's attention - especially those who upload art.
As of recent, there have been a surprising amount of extremely large imagery - especially in the aspect that they're very, very wide.
This can be annoying in the fact that it creates extra scrolling to navigate the page, and on laptops, like mine, this tends to be a little difficult.

So, from here on, large pictures (especially that of large width) are liable to be removed from the site. Currently existing large pictures may end up under the action of this decision as well, but what I recommend is for the artists of their large pictures to edit the photo and upload a resized version of it.

I will be updating the rules soon stating that overly wide pictures are not allowed, which you may review here:
https://diaperedanime.com/forum/misc.php?do=showrules

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Please, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. ^^

With much love,
~ Xero

xxxxxxxxxxxx August 22nd, 15 09:09 PM

Hm? Silly question, but what is considered "large"? Too wide to fit on a certain screen?

My laptop screen is 1366x768, but someone that has a new Retina display might have a resolution as high as 5120×2880 -- so an image that is too big for my laptop might look minuscule on the that monitor.

Xero August 23rd, 15 09:25 AM

Well, most laptops and computers these days are not running Retina displays :P

My laptop is also 1366x768, and both of my computer monitors are 1920x1080. Some images are still too wide even on my Full HD monitors, and it can be a bit tricky to navigate.

I won't use any picture as an example, lest I make the artist feel bad. But I suppose any picture that surpasses the width of our laptop screens, which is a standard for a lot of laptops, I guess is a tad too big.

Boukyaku August 24th, 15 03:23 AM

Isn't it possible to make the gallery automatically scale down images to fit on the screen, while leaving the original resolution of the image intact if one saves or views it on its own? Most image sites do it that way, last time I checked.

Xero August 24th, 15 09:46 AM

I did take a look at the gallery settings, but it doesn't seem the gallery module supports that. Perhaps because it's an older module.

kratox August 24th, 15 05:34 PM

No offense but I don't think this should be put upon the artist to have to do such things. Why don't you set the website up to where it auoscale down a second copy of the original and shows that image first, but if you want to still see the large format you can click fullview to see the original pic. This is how deviant-art and FA and every other art site does it.

Edit:------------------------

Just read your post. Maybe you should consider updating the site then. Personally I like that we have a site to go to but in all honesty this site probably has one of the least amount of features out of all art sites I've been on. The UI also feels really clunky compared to other ones.

Xero August 24th, 15 05:42 PM

deviantART and FurAffinity are using custom coding for their sites. We don't have the facilities or the people to do that. We're using third-party addons that don't support those features, and we can't manually add them because we don't have the time to go through the files and pick at pieces of someone else's code to figure out what's what. Not to mention, we don't have a team of programmers who can do this. We're a rather small group who don't have the time or the knowhow on their hands.

I'm asking for help from the artists here, to make this site a little more manageable.
Believe me, auto-resizing pictures was my first attempt. If I had another option, I'd go for it, but right now, it's simply not possible.

terminator101 August 25th, 15 12:05 PM

I understand your concerns about how "large imagery" can affect some users' overall experience with viewing the entire gallery, Xero. Personally, I don't mind all of the scrolling online as long as I have access to the artwork in its original size so that I can save it and view it later on my machine in any way that I desire. I also agree that it would be best if vBulletin could automatically resize the original image for display while leaving a link for users to DL the original size image (As is done on the 'booru sites) but given that this is currently not possible, I would like to suggest a work around (Not perfect) solution:

Perhaps members can upload a resized image for display purposes in the gallery and then also upload the original size image to another area of the forum (Not in the gallery) in the form of an attachment within a post (Can be a one sentence post: "This is my submission.") in a "special" thread created (By you) for this one purpose (Maybe create the thread in "The Creative Area" section?). Each uploader can then make a direct link to their respective attachment (When a picture attachment is clicked or right clicked and "Open in a new tab" is selected, it is usually displayed in another tab of a given browser. Copy the URL in the address bar of that new tab - That is the direct link to the picture attachment) and mention in the comments part of the gallery view that the user should "Click here for the original size image". The uploader can type the URL tag and paste the direct link to the picture attachment inside the URL tag. The HTML code behind the "here" link would be (Without all the quotation marks):

"Click [""url=the direct link to the picture attachment"]here"["/url"]" for the original size image."

Here is an example of what I am talking about: I have pasted a direct link to an attachment that I had made within a post in my "How much would you spend for diapers?" thread. The attachment features a picture of the Disney Babies design on a diaper waistband. Let's imagine that we are now in the gallery viewing a resized version of that image. Below the image in the comments part, we can see (And actually click on a working link):

Click here for the original size image.

Since I don't have a map of the database behind the gallery or the forum (For all I know, there could be just one giant "flat table" under both GUIs), I would also suggest a naming convention to be used for the resized and original images to be uploaded in order to avoid file overwrites: The resized images to be UL'ed into the gallery could be prefixed with "r_" while the original sized images to be attached to posts in the "special" thread should be prefixed with "o_" (e.g. - "r_MyPic.jpg" and "o_MyPic.jpg"). Just "thinking outside of the box".
:)

something101 August 26th, 15 05:29 AM

might i recomend ctrl +or - solves the issue with no updates at all.

terminator101 August 28th, 15 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 1994158)
... If I had another option, I'd go for it ...

I hope that you are considering the options that something101 and I suggested. Either one would allow users to view resized images that fit the width of the screen and access (Upload and download) original size images. The options only differ in the initital presentation of a given image in the gallery:

Option suggested by something101

- Original size image is initially displayed in the gallery (As is currently set up in the gallery). The user can right click and select "Save image as" to save the original size image.

- Users (Who desire) can resize the image to fit the width of their screen using the key combinations of "CTRL" and "-" (To decrease image size) or "CTRL" and "+" (To increase image size).

Option suggested by terminator101

- Resized image that fits the width of the screen is initially displayed in the gallery.

- Users (Who desire) can click on a link below the resized image to access the original size image in another browser tab (Somewhat similar to the setup in 'booru sites. See this example in Danbooru. Note: In Danbooru, the user has to right click the link located above the resized image and select "Open Link in a new tab" in order for the original size image to appear in a new tab. Clicking the link will display the original size image in the current page instead of in a new page inside a new tab). The user can right click and select "Save image as" to save the original size image.

Either option would satisfy all interests involved - Users who want to view resized images in the width of their screen and users who want to access (UL/DL) original size images would be happy. Neither option would involve any code changes behind the site - All the functionality to accomplish this is already built-into vBulletin. When you deem that the time is right, Xero, please let us all know how we shall proceed. Thank You.
:confused::)