Diapered Anime

Diapered Anime (https://diaperedanime.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diapered Anime News (https://diaperedanime.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Upcoming Maintenence (https://diaperedanime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28393)

Ai January 6th, 18 12:08 AM

Upcoming Maintenence

In preparation for upcoming script upgrades AnimeOTK.com (and all sister sites and hosted sites) will be closing for a long period of maintenence during which:

• All sites will be redirected to a placeholder page informing everybody of ongoing maintenence.
  • Full fresh backups will be taken once all sites are turned off
  • These new fresh backups will be moved off of the server
  • The server will be wiped clean and given a fresh install of CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 16 LTS (not yet decided)
  • Hosting control panel will be set up again
  • PHP 5.3 will be installed alongside a hosting template so we can continue to run these old sites without issue.
  • PHP 5.6 will be installed alongside a hosting tempate so when we are ready to upgrade our scripts we can move straight to the newer, more secure and faster PHP
  • PHP 7.1 will be installed alongside a hosting template so it can be tested on the new scripts as well.
  • All data from the fresh backups will be restored to the server
  • All sites will be redirected back to this server and reopened as soon as their data is restored.
This is likely to take in excess of 48 hours to perform but will hopefully be much shorter. The exact time of this maintenence period is currently unknown but will likely be within the next month as my time allows. There will be only a brief period of notice (1 hour at most) prior to the sites going offline - apoogies for this inconvinience. It is a necessary evil in the quest to upgrade us to new scripts!

HRE superfunnel January 6th, 18 11:48 PM

Thanks for the heads up

Kitty285 January 8th, 18 06:08 AM

thanks for letting us know

Reimu619 January 8th, 18 12:22 PM

I recommend centos but i am a bit biased.

Wolfie January 9th, 18 05:19 PM

will we neeed new acounts?

soulcaliber345 January 10th, 18 03:47 PM

What will happen to our accounts and created threads?

terminator101 January 10th, 18 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfie (Post 2870530)
will we neeed new acounts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulcaliber345 (Post 2871159)
What will happen to our accounts and created threads?

Ai said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ai (Post 2867237)
  • Full fresh backups will be taken once all sites are turned off
  • These new fresh backups will be moved off of the server
  • All data from the fresh backups will be restored to the server
  • All sites will be redirected back to this server and reopened as soon as their data is restored.

Supposedly, all of our accounts and threads will remain the same after the required maintenance is completed. If you're concerned that something might go wrong before the restore operation (e.g. The external hard drive that will hold all of the backups gets accidentally dropped on the floor and subsequently cannot be read [Bad CRC errors] in certain areas due to some damaged sectors on the disc platters [That's happened to me once with one of my external hard drives but fortunately, I had another identical backup drive so all I really lost was a 100% working external hard drive, the money I had to spend to buy a replacement external hard drive and the time I had to spend to ghost all the data from my remaining 100% working hard drive into the new one]) then you should go to the threads that you want to preserve, copy and paste all of the text in the latest post(s) made by you into a text file(s) created in Notepad and then save the text file(s). After the site is running again, if you notice that something is missing from any given thread of yours then you can at least re-post the text (Saved in the text file) from your last post into the thread (This is assuming that the thread was restored only partially from the DB. IMHO, it would be highly unlikely that an entire thread would be missing after the restore operation). Also, unless something happens to the user table in the DB, there should be no need to create a new account.
:cool:

Rukia~Chan January 13th, 18 05:15 AM

I'm excited to see the updates, can't wait ^_^

Ai January 16th, 18 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuddlebabyrachel (Post 2869497)
I recommend centos but i am a bit biased.

That's my OS of choice for production servers ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukia~Chan (Post 2872858)
I'm excited to see the updates, can't wait ^_^

I'm afraid these updates are invisible to users (only makes a difference to my workload and future changes!), but watch this space. We should have the funds to upgrade DiaperedAnime to a brand new script in a few months ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminator101 (Post 2871194)
If you're concerned that something might go wrong before the restore operation (e.g. The external hard drive that will hold all of the backups gets accidentally dropped on the floor and subsequently cannot be read [Bad CRC errors] in certain areas due to some damaged sectors on the disc platters

LMAO I use servers in the same datacentre. The full set of backups for every site on the server is about 100GB for a single snapshot. The archive of backups is about 1TB. If I were to have to upload even just the 100GB snapshot it would take somewhere around 60 hours thanks to my ISP throttling excessive uploads.

LilyA January 16th, 18 02:51 PM

did you finish yesterday? it said it was closed for maintence for a little bit.