PDA

View Full Version : Access to certain pics in the gallery limited?

terminator101
January 24th, 14, 01:42 PM
Hi. I noticed something strange today on the site and hope that you can help. I saw a comment made by limo4mepls (http://diaperedanime.com/forum/member.php?u=23502) on the Home page and when I clicked on the associated link http://diaperedanime.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21143 to view the picture out of curiosity, I encountered the message "You do not have permission to view the images in this category." Is access to certain pictures in the gallery being limited to certain members or is this a site bug? I'm guessing that it is the latter, since limo4mepls is only a probationary member while I'm a senior member - I doubt that there is something wrong with my account that would restrict my access. The only other possibility that I could think of is that the picture in question is one of those that violate the site rules or did not meet the "quality" standards and which was as a result thus "removed". If that is the case, shouldn't the comment and link not be displayed at all as well? Any information or help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
:confused::)

Xero
January 24th, 14, 03:25 PM
It was placed into a moderation section of the site for removal purposes, but has not been physically removed from the site.
Normally, the homepage updates itself and hides these things, but perhaps it was a little late on the refresh and you just got a bit unlucky in the mixture.

My apologies.

So, in simplicity, it has violated the rules, and thus was removed from public view and sent into the moderation section.

Ad-Sd-ChibiGirl
January 24th, 14, 06:42 PM
Also I was removing a Bunch of Duplicates that had recently been uploaded, if that one isn't a Duplicate, then I can put it in the correct Gallery.
EDIT: Yup, it was indeed a Duplicate picture
http://diaperedanime.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6023/title/51ae8277407e688af5b654/cat/563
Of this one

terminator101
January 28th, 14, 10:35 AM
Thank You both Xero and Ad-Sd-ChibiGirl for your fast response!
:)

It was placed into a moderation section of the site for removal purposes, but has not been physically removed from the site. ...

Thanks for confirming one of my hunches.

...EDIT: Yup, it was indeed a Duplicate picture ...

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

If I may offer a suggestion to handle the problem of duplicate pictures - Perhaps it would be better if after the image upload process is complete that vBulletin would execute a duplicate image check on the contents of the uploaded image folder against the images in the gallery folders. If duplicates are found, the duplicate images could be automatically deleted from the uploads folder on the server and the member could be notified afterwards that a given image(s) "... Already exists in the gallery. Please upload another image if available.". This would save Ad-Sd-ChibiGirl the trouble of having to check for duplicate images and also prevent upsetting members who upload images only to find out days later that their contributions have been removed because they were duplicates.

I searched the vBulletin support forums to see whether the application has this functionality built-in or available as a "mod" (As it is called there) to no avail. The closest thing that I could find on the subject was an option to perform duplicate image checks in message attachments (See "Allow Duplicate Attached Images (Yes/No)" in the online vBulletin Manual -> https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/acp_attachments_gen_options). From what I understand (I could be wrong though), when members upload images, they are essentially creating a new message with image attachments. However, from the brief description of that option in the vBulletin manual "Checks for attachments posted by the user who is making the reply." It sounds like the option only checks whether the uploader attached duplicate images within the same message, as opposed to duplicate images against the images in the gallery folders. Perhaps someone on the staff could investigate this option in vBulletin?
:confused:

I am not familiar with vBulletin on an administrator level, only at a user level, so I don't know whether vBulletin also has or hasn't the functionality, after the images have been uploaded, to execute an external program which in turn can execute an application like DupDetector (Freeware) -> http://www.prismaticsoftware.com/dupdetector/dupdetector.html, parse DupDetector's output log file (A text file named "Dups.log" located in \Program Files\Prismatic Software\DupDetector\DupLogs that holds the results of the last duplicate images check with the path(s) and filename(s) of the duplicate images), delete any duplicates from the uploads folder on the server and then create a message to be returned and displayed in vBulletin to inform the user that the image(s) that he/she uploaded already exists in the gallery. Such an external program would probably have to be coded with some scripting language like Perl. Perhaps someone on the staff can implement this?

Whether it is built into vBulletin or have to be custom programmed, I think that this functionality would greatly enhance the site for both the admins and the members.
:cool:

Stoner
January 28th, 14, 11:28 AM
the Gallery is technically not part of Vbulletin, it only shares a connection to the database to grab the user database and groups so vbulletin modifications wont work.

that being said, we do have such a modification planned, however due to offline commitments it might take some time for the coder to sort such a modification out.

terminator101
January 31st, 14, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your fast response, Stoner!

Ah, I see. Is the modification that you mentioned one of those that are "On the top" of the programmer's "To Do" list or does it have a lower priority? Also, I'm just curious. What application is used for creating and maintaining the gallery?

Stoner
January 31st, 14, 02:50 PM
its not on the top, but its there.

Wolfie
February 8th, 14, 01:31 AM
tht gd n all but dup detection is limited cus a slight change make it new picture

terminator101
February 11th, 14, 11:38 AM
It might be limited or it might not be limited, trevor mcknight tharo. The determination of duplicate images, just like quality in art, may be subjective. To a degree, it depends upon an individual's point of view.

Suppose we had three images: One of a character in a clean, white diaper and a second image of the same character in the same pose but with the diaper light yellow in color in a small area from being slightly wet and a third image of the same character in the same pose but with the diaper dark yellow in a larger area from being fully wet. Such pictures may occur in a simple single panel manga with each image appearing in a new consecutive panel in a sequence.

Some peeps may consider the latter two images as duplicates of the first because they only differ slightly from the first in color in a particular area. Other peeps may consider all three as unique images because of those differences. I think we, as a community, have to determine (Via a Poll?) what should be considered a "duplicate" image in order to properly handle it - Should we go with a "strict" interpretation (e.g. Only exactly matched images are duplicates) or a "loose" interpretation (e.g. Images with slight changes in color between/among them are duplicates).

Dup Detector allows a user to adjust the percentage of match for determining a duplicate image under it's "Find Dups" tab, so both interpretations are supported (See screenshots number 7 and 8 in the following page) -> http://www.wikihow.com/Eliminate-Duplicate-Images-Using-Dup-Detector I prefer to use the default 98.0% to 100% match whenever I use the application to clean up my image collection - I prefer a "strict" interpretation for determining duplicates. Peeps who prefer a more "loose" interpretation can adjust the lower percentage of the match range from 98.0% to something more suitable for their needs (Some experimenting with a percentage lower than 98.0% would have to be performed).

Dup Detector can handle changes in color, luminance, flipped mirror images, aspect ratio (W x H) and size (Resolution) for determining duplicates. However, if we had changes in the pose of or any parts of the character (e.g. facial expression) then technically it would not be a duplicate image but rather another unique, though possibly similar, image.