PDA

View Full Version : Authors rating their own stories...

Sayokane
January 16th, 10, 03:20 AM
I'm kind of curious why the system doesn't detect that the author him/herself is commenting on their own fictional stories and lets them assign a rating.

Shouldn't this not be allowed? I've seen a few instances where an incredibly bad story was given five stars by it's own author in order to draw people to it, or in order to keep their own ratings up.

I just think that this shouldn't be allowed...

Saturn_Ringer
January 16th, 10, 03:24 AM
Really? You can do that? O_O

That does seem like a very dishonest thing to do...have you talked to a mod about it?

Samiel
January 16th, 10, 03:52 AM
I'm rather glad this was posted, could I receive links as to where it occurred?

Mistress
January 16th, 10, 04:22 AM
I agree with Sayokane. As a writer myself, I have been tempted to give my stories five stars just to get my ratings up and my stories more attention.

I'd like to know what determines what stories get in the top 10 stories section, as I've got a several stories with around 10 five star votes. And yet Arukan has six stories the top 10, and five of them only have 1 five star votes under it...nothing against Arukan, I've read each story and they each deserve 5 stars in my opinion...

rant over.

Sayokane
January 16th, 10, 04:43 AM
So far I've found the following, some are buried in the reviews though so you need to look at the comments:

http://diaperedanime.com/forum/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=796&title=

http://diaperedanime.com/forum/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=772&title= (http://diaperedanime.com/forum/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=772&title)

http://diaperedanime.com/forum/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=762&title= (http://diaperedanime.com/forum/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=762&title)

http://diaperedanime.com/forum/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=715&title=

These were the three authors that caught my eyes very quickly; I haven't gone beyond these ones (since I just started noticing this back in November and started to keep an eye on it)

@Mistress

I wanna know that to since we have a banned member who can't even post stories anymore, so I'm wondering why he is still recognized when banned.

Mistress
January 16th, 10, 04:48 AM
@Mistress

I wanna know that to since we have a banned member who can't even post stories anymore, so I'm wondering why he is still recognized when banned.

I'm still trying to find that story, navigating the communal section is a real pain.

Sayokane
January 16th, 10, 05:59 AM
You won't find it, from what I noticed when Ai or the other admins ban someone, any stories they've posted seem to disappear from the fictional section.

Clop
January 16th, 10, 08:03 AM
I try not to do stuff like that because I can never seem to appreciate anything I do. =P

Kanji
January 16th, 10, 08:13 AM
I've done it on exactly one of my stories just to test.

But honestly I'm just so damn awesome that I pretty much deserved it.

Ometeotl
January 16th, 10, 09:50 PM
You won't find it, from what I noticed when Ai or the other admins ban someone, any stories they've posted seem to disappear from the fictional section.

I could never find that story even before he was banned, even when I searched by his name or just parts of it.

Sayokane
January 17th, 10, 01:37 AM
Ok, that is odd.....

Kind of curious if Samiel as seen the links yet :)

Mistress
January 17th, 10, 02:19 AM
There's been a couple of bots getting on the site I've been reporting to Samiel, so IDK. By bots, I mean those guys trying to send you malware and crap like that, been scanning my computer several times the past few days.

Winnie Cooper
January 17th, 10, 03:29 AM
TBH, I don't like the whole ratings thing at all. Someone gets pissed off or has a grudge against someone else, and BOOM! They give them low ratings to bring their average down. It sucks.

Mistress
January 17th, 10, 03:57 AM
TBH, I don't like the whole ratings thing at all. Someone gets pissed off or has a grudge against someone else, and BOOM! They give them low ratings to bring their average down. It sucks.

That is a good point, but the original intent of the rating was to show the authors what the readers think of their work. That's what makes me put in all the effort to my stories. But you do have a good point, the rating system does make it a bit competative in one way or another.

Kanji
January 17th, 10, 04:09 AM
Actually the whole fiction section is top loaded. The 'popular' writers get featured and promoted making their ratings pretty much sealed by the fact that they're on the front page, and the whole system of finding other peoples stories is so contrived that you might as well just stick to the front page.

Sami-Chan
January 17th, 10, 04:30 AM
Do ratings even matter? Its just a story, after all. If someone likes it, they like. If they don't, they don't.

Kanji
January 17th, 10, 05:22 AM
I don't think the rating system is worth the hassle, I always preferred sub forums.

FittedForMe
January 17th, 10, 12:09 PM
I never figure the stories I write are good enough to even post, though I can state right off the bat that it is unethical to put any rating on one's own story. Every author, both good and bad, that posts their stories does so in the hopes that others will read it and furthermore that others will enjoy it. Giving your own stories a good ranking to accomplish said goal should leave a good author feeling empty and unfulfilled.

Sayokane
January 17th, 10, 07:36 PM
Do ratings even matter? Its just a story, after all. If someone likes it, they like. If they don't, they don't.

To some of us? Yes, it DOES matter. I wouldn't be writing stories on this board if people weren't rating mine, that's why I stopped posting stories on FF.net, because people stopped giving me reviews.

Samiel
January 17th, 10, 08:06 PM
All the posted stories I looked at were appalling. I'm not sure how they made it past approval, but they've all been deleted.

Mistress
January 17th, 10, 09:35 PM
All the posted stories I looked at were appalling. I'm not sure how they made it past approval, but they've all been deleted.

Probably because some of the mods just approved them without checking them.

Sayokane
January 17th, 10, 11:52 PM
Probably because some of the mods just approved them without checking them.

I got that same feeling as well, it's made me wonder if the mods in the fictional section even bother to read. That IS why the stories have to be approved, if your just going to approve every story you see - then what's the point of an approval type of system?

I dunno, perhaps it's about time Ai added some new fictional mods...

And thanks Samiel :)

Mistress
January 18th, 10, 12:35 AM
I got that same feeling as well, it's made me wonder if the mods in the fictional section even bother to read. That IS why the stories have to be approved, if your just going to approve every story you see - then what's the point of an approval type of system?

I dunno, perhaps it's about time Ai added some new fictional mods...

And thanks Samiel :)

"Fiction Mods" I like the sound of that. If Ai instates those, I'm voluntering for that position.

Ometeotl
January 18th, 10, 04:22 AM
As shall I. Sounds like something this place needs.

The_Silence
January 18th, 10, 05:07 AM
I think what bothers me most is when the authors write "I'll post more later" under a comment and automatically grant themselves five stars. How pompous and ignorant can you get? Even worse is when other people give the story a low rating, and the author counters it by adding their own five star rating.

Being a writer I find this quite...unpleasant.