PDA

View Full Version : College Majors

Eternal Sunshine
August 15th, 08, 04:22 AM
Ok here is another question for u peoples. What are some of you peeps college majors now, or what will your major be in the future?

I'm going to be a double major in Chemistry and Biology. I then plan to attend Graduate School for Biochemical Engineering. To answer any questions I am a super science nerd.

Chaoswolf
August 15th, 08, 04:24 AM
Um well I still dont know but maybe major in computer programing, culenary arts, or science and biology. Maybe even writing idk

Mistress
August 15th, 08, 04:26 AM
No degree for it, but I'm hoping to do Narrative and Scenario Design for video games.

Chaoswolf
August 15th, 08, 04:27 AM
Yes video games I so want to pitch my ideas and desigen them >_<

Eternal Sunshine
August 15th, 08, 04:29 AM
Good luck with those guys

Chaoswolf
August 15th, 08, 04:31 AM
Yeah I know so many people are doing it. I have confidence in my ideas though. Reaks of originality a healthy plot and awesome gameplay that will be forever remebered.

Eternal Sunshine
August 15th, 08, 04:33 AM
Cool I look forward to playing what you produce.

Chaoswolf
August 15th, 08, 04:36 AM
I also do I cant get the gameplay out of my head X_X. Yes I do see my games like they were already made playing in my head XD

Arukan
August 15th, 08, 10:37 PM
English, literature or language, is my major. have not chose a specification but I want to be a professor of English at the university level.

anifan5890
August 16th, 08, 12:40 AM
My college major now is business management/finance with a minor psychology/sociology and I already have the degree in those subjects and I will probably major in computers/banking in the future.

Baby_Ichigo2397
August 16th, 08, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking of majoring in psychology or in getting my A+ certifcation

SweetMomoPuffs
August 16th, 08, 09:15 PM
My majors are history and animation. I'm going to be an Animation Historian.

MutsuMutsu
December 7th, 08, 05:13 AM
My major is Theoretical Linguistics. Due the the new trend of incorporating psychology into linguistics, hence Cognitive Linguistics, I just have no chance of going to grad school. Mind as well be an ESL teacher for adults (more difficult than for kids) along with a minor writing career.

Elemental Anon
December 7th, 08, 05:15 AM
Anyone want to take a wild guess on what mine will be?
*Looks at sig*

chibigo
December 7th, 08, 04:34 PM
Uhm. What exactly does college major mean, where you guys live? That you get to study the class in question for three years, or what is it?

Elemental Anon
December 7th, 08, 05:30 PM
It is mainly a U.S. and Canadian term for a college or university student's main field of specialization during his or her undergraduate studies which would be in addition to, and may incorporate portions of, a core curriculum. The university department offering the major defines a framework for this specialized portion of a student's studies, including a certain number of required courses and a certain number of freely chosen courses relevant to the major. Some majors in some universities effectively define the student's full course of study; many others allow students considerable latitude both within their field and in their other courses. The university also generally defines general education or core education and distribution requirements. Although many students choose their major before entering a college or university, many others select it during their first or second year of a four-year program. Some schools do not allow students to officially declare their major until the end of their second year so that students can experience a core liberal arts curriculum to help them choose the most appropriate major.

I had to look that up because I suck at explaining some things.

dan6666
December 7th, 08, 06:54 PM
Computer forensics and security so i can work with the FBI

chibigo
December 7th, 08, 07:52 PM
It is mainly a U.S. and Canadian term for a college or university student's main field of specialization during his or her undergraduate studies which would be in addition to, and may incorporate portions of, a core curriculum. The university department offering the major defines a framework for this specialized portion of a student's studies, including a certain number of required courses and a certain number of freely chosen courses relevant to the major. Some majors in some universities effectively define the student's full course of study; many others allow students considerable latitude both within their field and in their other courses. The university also generally defines general education or core education and distribution requirements. Although many students choose their major before entering a college or university, many others select it during their first or second year of a four-year program. Some schools do not allow students to officially declare their major until the end of their second year so that students can experience a core liberal arts curriculum to help them choose the most appropriate major.

I had to look that up because I suck at explaining some things.

Whoever wrote that, sucks just as much. I'll need you to define at least 5 new terms now, in order to understand THAT? And I'm even one who gets complimented for knowing a lot of difficult words, occasionally. <.<

Elemental Anon
December 7th, 08, 08:39 PM
What's there not to understand? The word "curriculum"?

Winnie Cooper
December 7th, 08, 11:16 PM
Basically it means that most of your classes aside from your general education classes (Science, Mathematics, English, Etc....) are going to be about that subject.

I have a BA in Bible, with a Minor in Old Testament Studies, and an MA in Contemporary Apologetics.

Elemental Anon
December 7th, 08, 11:34 PM
Interesting. I don't know jack about religion. I have a bible I still haven't read.

Winnie Cooper
December 8th, 08, 02:55 AM
Interesting. I don't know jack about religion. I have a bible I still haven't read.

Have read mine through several times (I do skip around in it though), but I still find new stuff all the time.

MutsuMutsu
December 8th, 08, 03:09 AM
I have a BA in Bible, with a Minor in Old Testament Studies, and an MA in Contemporary Apologetics.

If you said Bible, at least be specific what classical language(s) was written in... like Classical Greek or Latin.

*linguistics nerd rage!* :D

Winnie Cooper
December 8th, 08, 06:02 AM
The Bible was not originally written in Latin. It was translated into Latin. It was originally Hebrew, Greek, and some Chaldee. I took 18 credit hours (180 classroom hours) of Koine Greek, and 6 credit hours (60 classroom hours) of Ancient Hebrew.

chibigo
December 8th, 08, 03:48 PM
(I'm not living in USA, Elemental, that's why I don't understand half of what you copied, since we don't have much of all that stuff referred to in Denmark - Plus; English is not my native language, duh. :P

EDIT:
The classes, that I have chosen apart from the obligatories are Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology classes. Also, I'm planning on adding Psychology on, or maybe religion.
They're not university level, though.
If I were to choose a major, then I guess it would be Biology or Social Studies. But we don't do majors in Denmark. I guess the universities are too hardcore over here.

Winnie Cooper
December 8th, 08, 04:23 PM
Well I guess then something corresponding to your majors, would be my Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology classes.

Not really. We would call a major just one of those, in which you would take more than one class. You're taking all of those at University level?? Jeez.

eg. Someone who wishes to become a Biologist would be a Biology Major.

Elemental Anon
December 8th, 08, 07:51 PM
(I'm not living in USA, Elemental, that's why I don't understand half of what you copied, since we don't have much of all that stuff referred to in Denmark - Plus; English is not my native language, duh. :P
Well I guess then something corresponding to your majors, would be my Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology classes. Also, I'm planning on adding Psychology on, or maybe religion.
I knew you weren't in the U.S. or Canada and I was sure that English wasn't the main language there. I had to find some sort of definition though, because like I said, I suck at explaining some things.

chibigo
December 8th, 08, 08:02 PM
Not really. We would call a major just one of those, in which you would take more than one class. You're taking all of those at University level?? Jeez.

eg. Someone who wishes to become a Biologist would be a Biology Major.

Ok, it has to be university level? I think I'll pass on that, then. As far as i know, university standards are a bit higher in Denmark than most places. At least, just thinking of university level is pretty crazy even for someone who's taking a class for all three years of the gymnasium (yeah, that's an english word too :P) duration.

Meh, I just wanted to be in this, but I guess the differences between the danish school systems and the american. :P

Winnie Cooper
December 8th, 08, 10:42 PM
Yes, a Major is announced at University.

I understand the difference in other education systems place the word "College" as not being the same as "University". In America, the terms are basically interchangeable. The only difference is that in order for a school to be called a University, it must have a Master's Degree program.