PDA

View Full Version : A computer geek question.

Spiky
January 4th, 09, 06:58 AM
This is a question for my computer geek brethren here at this forum, I always had my xp computer on high speed internet from the day I bought it, but when I l recently ost my high speed(to costly) , I went back to dial up, the thing is I never used the dial up modem on my xp computer before that, and now for some reason the computer wont connect to my isp, I always get a box saying " unable to dial/open port..no dial tone".

What I cant figure out is I set up the dial up connection the exact same way I'v set connections up on any other computer, xp or otherwise, and it still wont work, the Xp computer in question is the only one I'v ever had trouble with setting up a dial up connection, and I'v been setting up that type of connection for a loong time.

The only thing I can think of is the computer is trying to automatically create a tcp/ip adress without actually connecting to my isp, and that is in turn creating an ip adress that isnt fully compatable.

My question is does anyone know of a good, 100% free program that will tell me both my public, and private IP addresses, that can be used on a widows 98 computer(what Im currently using), so that I can find them out and use them to "trick" my Xp computer into connecting with my isp under my win 98 computers Ip adressess.

Im asking because I cant find a program on download.com that works on win 98, and shows both the public, and private ip address, which is what I need, none of the free ones really say if they show the public, or the private address, or both and the few that do say if they do dont work. and I need the private ip for sure.

Or if anyone has any tips on what to do aside from what I just stated, and please, dont ask me if the modem is working properly, because I will say ahead of time, that the drivers are updated, and the modem has already been un-and re-installed, and according the the computer is working perfectly.

Elemental Anon
January 4th, 09, 07:00 AM
This is all you'll get from me. Half of what you want, I guess:
http://whatismyip.com/

Spiky
January 4th, 09, 07:15 AM
Thanks, I never would have thought to look on the net for a site that tells me my ip adress, but once again it doesnt tell me if its my public ip, thats displayed on the web, like at forum sites when the admins veiw it, or the Ip adress used by my computer to connect to the isp.

It seems the best I can do right now is try that ip address, and if it works, then its my private, if not its my public.

the only other thing im not sure about is if ip adresses are totally transferable with dial up, but i knowthis computers ip address works, and I cant really think of a reason why it wouldnt be transferable to another computer, but with these newfangled machines, I cant say for sure.

karldotj
January 6th, 09, 08:12 PM
i believe the IP changes when you change ISPs, email your ISP for more info