PDA

View Full Version : Like the good Anime...hate the rest

trojanman
January 9th, 09, 05:38 AM
I suppose I am not a typical anime fan, so I don't suppose I speak for the entire group

However, Something I have noticed, maybe you have too, is that...

THE VAST MAJORITY OF ANIME IS ABSOLUTE CRAP

I do not hate the genre, and there are good series out there

but like North American animation, and just media in general, there is a lot of crap out there

I suppose I am just tired many people who like shows just because the characters have big eyes, strange hair, and ridiculously long named attacks

I guess my bottom line is this, there should be some actual substance to a show

most anime i have seen simply doesn't have any

any thoughts?

PaddedPrinceling Joey
January 9th, 09, 09:19 AM
You have been looking at the wrong things then. I don't know what to tell you but you're making a mistake, seeing as more anime doesn't even require some of those things. And even then, you can find some really cool stuff anyways. Hell, I haven't even seen one with all three of those in one series for years.

Monogreen
January 10th, 09, 04:31 AM
You have been looking at the wrong things then. I don't know what to tell you but you're making a mistake, seeing as more anime doesn't even require some of those things. And even then, you can find some really cool stuff anyways. Hell, I haven't even seen one with all three of those in one series for years.

Couldn't have said it better myself

DaGreatPanda
January 10th, 09, 04:35 AM
I suppose I am not a typical anime fan, so I don't suppose I speak for the entire group

but like North American animation, and just media in general, there is a lot of crap out there

I suppose I am just tired many people who like shows just because the characters have big eyes, strange hair, and ridiculously long named attacks

any thoughts?

idk man, i think you're wrong, try stuff that doesn't suck. watch some bleach or yu yu hakusho.

PaddedPrinceling Joey
January 10th, 09, 04:58 PM
Try watching Claymore too, although you can only find that subbed for the time being.

Doxy
January 13th, 09, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you, Trojanman.

Yes, I also prefer my shows and movies to have a degree of substance to them. It is nice to have a deeper story - one that might even allow for character development (difficult for anime in general, I admit). When you have a solid story and good voice acting, the experience is heighted.

"Sometimes I want to eat some red velvet cake. Other times, I really crave a twinkie." Words from a friend I have, and it seems appropriate to your complaint about these series not having 'depth'. Series like Bleach, Naruto, Hitman Reborn, etc are typical Shonen series with all the pitfalls to be expected. They might have some touching scenes or the occasional piece of interesting symbolism, but ultimately, they are not deep - they're intended for boys between the ages of 5 and 12. It doesn't mean they aren't fun to watch.

Pet peeve: Horror is a genre. Anime is not.

You say that a large percentage of media (in general) is not good. I'm not sure why anime should be held to higher standards than the rest of the media. The anime industry imitates what everyone else - throwing things against the wall and hoping that something sticks. Most of it comes out annoying and predictable but you occassionally get a surprise.

The complaint about people liking a show simply because of a particular trait (eyes, hair, etc) sounds suspicious. I apologize but its hard not to read this as irritation towards a group of people for not having the same viewpoint as you or do not give your opinions much weight. Admittedly, the more overenthusiastic fans can be troublesome (western Evangelion fans for me). However, they like what they like.

little_pink
January 13th, 09, 08:36 PM
What is crap is surely subjective- obviously what you find dire you won't enjoy- but to make such a statement about most suggests you just have high standards, there's nothing wrong with that but you mustn't get so upset.

The vast majority of anything is average for what it is, if you only like excelsior animé that's fine but also an indication that you aren't much of a fan of the style.

Knightmare
January 13th, 09, 09:15 PM
Seems like stereotyping to me there is not such thing as bad anime.Only anime that surpasses other animes!

DaGreatPanda
January 14th, 09, 03:17 AM
Series like Bleach, Naruto, Hitman Reborn, etc are typical Shonen series with all the pitfalls to be expected. They might have some touching scenes or the occasional piece of interesting symbolism, but ultimately, they are not deep - they're intended for boys between the ages of 5 and 12. It doesn't mean they aren't fun to watch.

oh that makes me sad to see you say that, well about bleach anyways, naruto and hitman reborn can go fuck themselves.

PaddedPrinceling Joey
January 14th, 09, 05:39 AM
Now Panda, Naruto is just as good as anything else. I haven't devoted time to Reborn. But Naruto is actually alright. It's just the hype in crowds that is bothersome.

And as for them not being particularily deep, I disagree. You're sticking to what you have seen with the anime, in which the sixty episodes of Bleach known as the Bount Arc are completely filler and have nothing to do with the story really. All the while, you get into the Arrancar and Hueco mundo arcs, it gets rather impressive in some cases.

And Naruto... well... they basically have that running in its one hundred episode filler span. That is completely irrelevant. Once more, once they get back to the story, it is actually quite fulfilling.

DaGreatPanda
January 14th, 09, 06:15 AM
Now Panda, Naruto is just as good as anything else. I haven't devoted time to Reborn. But Naruto is actually alright. It's just the hype in crowds that is bothersome.

And as for them not being particularily deep, I disagree. You're sticking to what you have seen with the anime, in which the sixty episodes of Bleach known as the Bount Arc are completely filler and have nothing to do with the story really. All the while, you get into the Arrancar and Hueco mundo arcs, it gets rather impressive in some cases.

And Naruto... well... they basically have that running in its one hundred episode filler span. That is completely irrelevant. Once more, once they get back to the story, it is actually quite fulfilling.

Now I do have to admit that i've seen a few of Naruto episodes. probably a minimum of 10, maybe more. but it didnt seem interesting but then, they were all spread out. i usually dont judge an anime unless ive seen like the first 10 episodes..

but i do completely agree with you.

Doxy
January 14th, 09, 05:33 PM
You're sticking to what you have seen with the anime, in which the sixty episodes of Bleach known as the Bount Arc are completely filler and have nothing to do with the story really. All the while, you get into the Arrancar and Hueco mundo arcs, it gets rather impressive in some cases.

Actually, I'm not. Including 'filler' would be unfair against a series. As said before, I feel while Shonen shows have moments, it's not likely to have a great deal of depth. Those kinds of series do exactly what they are supposed to do - have long drawn out fights with occasional moments of plot so the series continues as long as possible. Its not a bad thing - I obviously watch these shows and / or read their manga(s?). However, there is only so much constant conflict one can take before disinterest sets in.

DaGreatPanda
January 15th, 09, 02:02 AM
Actually, I'm not. Including 'filler' would be unfair against a series. As said before, I feel while Shonen shows have moments, it's not likely to have a great deal of depth. Those kinds of series do exactly what they are supposed to do - have long drawn out fights with occasional moments of plot so the series continues as long as possible. Its not a bad thing - I obviously watch these shows and / or read their manga(s?). However, there is only so much constant conflict one can take before disinterest sets in.

then i guess it depends on the person.

Bandit Keith
July 19th, 10, 10:06 PM

any thoughts?

necro posting yes I em

sounds like you watch to much mainstream stuff like dbz,[which dbz is the worsted mainstream anime dbz maybe is the worsted of all anime]

by now bleach is crap used to be good tho

naruto well its like 30/ good at best

inuyasha is about50/50 [to me anyway]

yugioh after a piont

yugioh gx

yugioh 5 d's

sailor moon [tho I'm a fan will admit it sucks]

alot of the gundam series suck aside for afew of the gundam series

now thats about all the sucky mainstream anime I can thing of

now theres alot of good ones out there if you would look on the net.